Monday, January 16, 2012

End of an Era (that kind of actually ended a while ago)

Just read on The A.V. Club that Lookout! Records is officially over.  The part of my brain that is still in high school and lets me loudly sing along with The Queers' Love Songs for the Retarded in my car is very very sad about this.

Lookout! was an institution in the 1990s.  When I graduated from high school, some of my friends and I took a road trip to California and made a point of stopping in Berkeley to visit the 924 Gilman Street Project--a Bay Area punk mecca.  We saw American Steel, and former Lookout! president Chris Applegreen's band The Pattern opened up for them.  I felt like it was all set up for me--like all these characters came together in this setting just for me to get the whole experience I'd wanted.  Things almost never work out so perfectly.

Here's the Mr. T Experience (a band that really represents the best of Lookout!) singing about Gilman Street:

Anyhoo: I don't know what happened.  Lookout! had a very distinctive voice back in its heyday, and that sort of dissipated as time wore on, I guess.

I don't know what else to say. Here's another awesome Lookout! band:

No comments:

Post a Comment